Resources to assist tenants


Quick links for tenants; from legal assistance to storage facilities.. Keep an eye on this page as it grows!

Tenants Advice and Unions

Residential Tenancies Authority QLD

Tenants New South Wales Tenants New South Wales

CTTT New South Wales Consumer, Trade and Tenancy Tribunal New South Wales

Consumer Affairs Victoria Consumer Affairs Victoria

OCBA South Australia
Office of Consumer and Business Affairs South Australia

Tenants Advice Services WA
Tenants Advice Services Western Australia

Tenants Union of Tasmania Tenants Union of Tasmania

Tenants Union of Queensland Tenants Union of Queensland

Darwin Community Legal Services Tenants Advice Northern Territory

Tenants Union of ACT Tenants Union Australian Capital Territory

 Renters First Australia

Your privacy during the lease

Once you have signed the lease, the landlord must respect your right to peaceful and quiet enjoyment of the property.

There are occasions and circumstances however where the landlord or landlord's agent will require and have the right to access the property. Reasonable requests and notices should be made for access between 8am-7pm and not on Sundays or Public Holidays.

The landlord or authorised party representing the landlord cannot generally obtain access to the property without notice being given to you. The amount of notice required to be given to you varies and can be waived or changed by your consent.

Circumstances requiring access include:

  • To conduct a ‘general inspection’ of the condition of the property. Usually you will be given a week's notice.

  • To carry out necessary repairs. A shorter notice of 2 or 3 days is more likely and it would be convenient for you to get these done as soon as possible anyway.

  • Urgent or emergency repairs may not need any notice.

  • The landlord may wish to sell the property, in which case inspections will be required by potential purchasers on a reasonable number of occasions.

  • Once you have given or been given notice to end the lease, the landlord will need to seek a new tenant, in which case inspections will be required by potential new tenants on a reasonable number of occasions.

  • If the property has been abandoned or the landlord has good reason to believe it has been abandoned.

  • If a tribunal or other governing authority orders access.

  • In the event you consider the requests or access conditions over burdening you can find out what the rules and guidelines are by contacting the relevant department or office in your state. Thanks to